SCIENTIFIC TECHNICAL EDITOR
The Scientific Technical Editor reports to the Director of SQS and supports the scientific team with fact-checking deliverables for correct scientific interpretation of related scientific literature; constructs tables and figures; assists with literature searches; and other modes of scientific content support.
Essential Functions: Demonstrates behavior expected of a professional member of the organization, including but not limited to:
Quality control of deliverables:
- Verify information and data against published and client-generated sources
- Generate and check figures and tables for various projects
- Perform line by line reviews of journal proofs to ensure accuracy of publication
- Perform literature searches and develop high level summary of findings
- Work with medical writers to prepare manuscript submission files and complete submissions
- Work with medical writers on abstract submissions
- Other tasks as delegated by the scientific team
- Composure: Is cool under pressure; is considered mature; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress in a positive manner; is open to constructive criticism and is able to listen and learn from materials, colleagues, workshops, etc.
- Organization/Time Management: Can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal; uses resources effectively and efficiently; can juggle multiple projects and deadlines; arranges information and files in a useful manner; uses time effectively and efficiently; concentrates efforts on more important priorities
- Client Focus: Is dedicated to meeting and exceeding the expectations and requirements of clients; acts with clients in mind
- Ethics/Values/Integrity/Trust: Adheres to an appropriate and effective set of core values and beliefs during both good and bad times; acts in line with those values; acts in a direct and truthful way; can present the unvarnished truth in and appropriate and helpful manner; admits mistakes; doesn’t misrepresent him/herself for personal gain
Knowledge and Critical Skills/Expertise
- MS, PhD, or PharmD in biological science is required
- Ability to independently comprehend and analyze scientific content and edit deliverables
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Outstanding organizational skills, ability to prioritize assignments and meet deadlines
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and GraphPad Prism software
Language and Communication Skills
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently, with minimal supervision if necessary, as well as part of a team in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Comprehension of medical and scientific terminology, and attention to detail
- Strong skills in project management, time management, multitasking, prioritizing, organizing, researching, and problem solving; ability to adhere to strict deadlines; flexibility to handle changing deadlines
- Understanding and familiarity with most current AMA style
- Ability to understand and properly determine accuracy of scientific information and data in a variety of biological fields
- Ability to gather all needed files and information required for a manuscript submission and to execute and complete the submission
- Clearly communicates suggestions for figure and table edits/revisions with scientific team
- Delivers work by designated deadline
- Works well in a team environment
- Work effectively in an open floor plan or remote environment
- Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8-hour day)
- Keyboard use (greater or equal to 50% of the workday)
ADA: The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
OSH ACT: A computer programmer is not to handle any human body fluids, biological agents, laboratory chemicals or be exposed to hazardous materials such as noise, asbestos, or carcinogens.
This job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and marginal job functions are subject to modification. Please fill out the form on this page or email firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.