The Scientific Director will be responsible for leading multiple accounts. For each account, responsibilities include overseeing the quality and timely execution of all deliverables, developing and maintaining client relationships to ensure the account durability and growth, and providing strategic and scientific support for medical communications planning. The Scientific Director is expected to exemplify the desired standards of the AlphaGroup for the development of original, accurate, high-quality content (eg, manuscripts, abstracts, slides) within project specifications, timelines, and budgets. The Scientific Director will manage a team of senior and junior medical writers, identify training needs, and develop and implement plans to address training needs. The Scientific Director is expected to provide strategic and scientific support for business development and to participate in presentations for existing clients and for business development.
- Provides medical direction and develops strategy for clients’ medical communications programs
- Provides strategic counsel from a scientific/medical perspective when requested for business development
- Sets the standards for each team
- Remains current on good publication practices and ensures that compliance both internally and externally
- Identifies training needs of the scientific team, develops the plan to address, and oversees the implementation of the plan
- Works with medical writers to develop clear, accurate content
- Provides critical editorial and scientific review of content developed by writers and ensures that content meets objectives
- Interacts with external thought leaders and faculty and internal medical affairs colleagues and clinical leads
- Cultivates expertise in assigned therapeutic areas
- Works closely with account and project managers to ensure projects are properly resourced, completed in a timely manner, meet timelines, and stay within budget
- Demonstrates ability to balance multiple projects for multiple clients
- Assists new/junior employees with content development activities and serves as a resource for questions
- Continuously complies with AlphaGroup and client standard editorial procedures, including ethical standards
- Represents the company at client meetings (eg, advisory boards, speaker-training meetings, business development initiatives) in a professional manner
- PhD in a biomedical science/PharmD/MD (or local equivalent)
- Must have at least 6 years of experience in the medical communications agency setting for Scientific Director
- Demonstrated experience mentoring junior writers
- Expertise in multiple therapeutic areas
- Knowledge of scientific and regulatory requirements applicable to early phase clinical studies, study protocols, and reports
- Familiar with current GPP and ICMJE guidelines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, clinical data-interpretation skills, strong interpersonal and leadership skills, ability to plan/organize and multitask
- Demonstrated skills to guide and work with a team
- Ability to travel (<20%)
- Full-time, in-office position (post pandemic) with work-from-home flexibility
ADA: The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
OSH ACT: A computer programmer is not to handle any human body fluids, biological agents, laboratory chemicals or be exposed to hazardous materials such as noise, asbestos, or carcinogens.
This job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and marginal job functions are subject to modification. Please fill out the form on this page or email firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com if interested.